Voluntary Bonding Scheme
Registrations of interest for the 2014 intake will be confirmed soon.
New Zealand needs more Doctors, Midwives, Nurses, Medical Physicists and Radiation Therapists in a number of communities and specialties.
Hard-to-staff communities and specialties struggle with higher vacancy rates, higher locum use, higher use of overseas trained professionals and longer waiting periods than their counterparts. The Voluntary Bonding Scheme is a practical initiative designed to move graduates into the communities and specialties that need them most and retain essential health workforces in New Zealand.
The Voluntary Bonding Scheme (the Scheme) is an incentive based payment scheme to reward Medical, Midwifery and Nursing graduates who agree to work in hard-to-staff communities and/or specialties and Medical Physicist and Radiation Therapist graduates working anywhere in New Zealand. The Scheme is also available to general practitioner trainees who choose to work in a hard-to-staff training community for three years.
In order to receive payment, graduates must register their interest on the scheme, be confirmed on the scheme and then stay on the Scheme for a minimum of three years and a maximum of five years. The Scheme is voluntary and individuals can withdraw at any time.
There are limited places available. To be eligible for one of those places, an applicant must register their interest during the Registration of Interest process and be:
- a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- a graduate from a New Zealand accredited tertiary institute
- registered, or be eligible to be registered with the relevant regulatory authority, excluding medical physicists
- willing to work in a hard-to-staff community and/or specialty for three to five years, if you are a doctor, nurse or midwife
- willing to work in New Zealand for three to five years, if you are a radiation therapist of medical physicist
- able to comply with all other terms and conditions of the Scheme.
Note: The requirements for working in either a hard-to-staff community or specialty depend on the profession of the graduate. Refer to the Terms and Conditions for your intake year to see which applies to you.
Graduates who are part of the Scheme are eligible for incentive payments, intended to help repay their student loans, for up to five years. Combined with compulsory student loan deductions from a graduate’s income, this will give individuals a significant boost in repaying their student loans. Those without a student loan are also eligible for the Scheme.
For information for each profession see:
For general information see:
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Voluntary Bonding Scheme Registration of Interest Guide
- Applying for Voluntary Bonding Scheme Payments Guide
For questions regarding the scheme please email email@example.com